Academic Tutoring Center
Welcome to the Academic Tutoring Center. With convenient locations on each Pellissippi State campus, we are your one-stop shop for tutoring, mentoring and supplemental instruction.
Pellissippi State’s Academic Tutoring Center offers free tutoring services virtually and on all campuses. Schedules, locations and hours of operations can be found here.
Instructions for virtual tutoring are below. For more information call 865-539-7079.
Math tutors can help you with My Math Lab and other class assignments, but tutors aren’t allowed to help you with quizzes or take-home tests.
The Writing Center
Tutors in The Writing Center can review your written assignments and citation pages. Writing tutors are not allowed to edit your paper but can offer suggestions. We can also offer writing ethics advice and creative thinking ideas.
Virtual Tutoring Instructions
To Connect with a Writing Tutor:
*If you need assistance with WRITTEN ASSIGNMNETS (English, College Success, History, Psychology, etc.), follow instructions 1-6.
- From your Pellissippi State Webmail account, email your paper to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include your Pellissippi ID number, name of course (ex: HIST 2010), and instructor’s name in the body of your email.
- Send your paper in the form of a Microsoft Word document. We are unable to provide comments to a pdf or other types of documents.
- Be sure to include the instructions and grading rubric for the assignment.
- If you would like to video chat with a writing tutor, be sure to mention that in your email.
- Be patient. We will respond to your email in the order it was received.
To Connect with Non-Writing Tutors:
*If you need assistance with other assignments (Accounting, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Math, etc.), send an email to email@example.com with the following information.
- What subject? Example: MATH 1530
- What topic? Example: Hypothesis Testing
- Who is your instructor?
- What is your Pellissippi ID number (P#)?
You will receive an immediate response from an administrator informing you if you will need to wait in the queue or if you will be connected immediately with the tutor. Be sure to have your question(s) ready for the tutor.
The tutor will contact you through Microsoft Teams. Make sure Teams is open before sending your email. You will need a microphone and speakers, headphones with a microphone, and/or a web camera to connect with virtual tutors.
After following the instructions above, a tutor will contact you as soon as possible through Microsoft Teams. Before emailing our tutors, please be sure to have Teams open on your computer. This is a free program available for all Pellissippi State students. To access Teams, visit www.office.com and sign in with your Pellissippi State credentials, then click the Teams icon to launch the program in your web browser.